Friday, December 10, 2010

Did you know that George Washington, at the age of 16, wrote a small pamphlet about manners? There are 110 'Rules of Civility and Good Behavior' which include where to sit at table, when to eat, how to eat, how to sit and so on. Most, however, are how to show respect to one who is 'higher in station' than yourself. The class system does not exist as it did 200 years ago, but I believe an important lesson can be taken from these 110 rules. Show respect for your elders, whether you know them or not. A very good summary of the pamphlet is this: "Honor your Father and Mother, and love your neighbor as yourself."

My favorite of all 110 rules is the last:

"Labour to keep alive in your Breast that little spark of Celestial fire called Consience."

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to read that. I'll have to look it up online. :o)

    I just ran across a blog about paper dolls. I loved doing paper dolls with my daughter. Hundreds of outfits I cut out and hand colored for several dolls. I think I may have loved them more than she did, and I'm not even what would be called a "girlie" girl.

    Anyway, I thought of you and your beautiful designs as I was looking over her art. She just draws them, but the originality is wonderful. I wondered how they would look, brought to life by your sewing craft.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete