Thursday, June 14, 2012

New design status:

Time is closing in on our release date for the Summer 2012 Collection! The date is still June 15th, and I really do have to release tomorrow (the 15th) because I will be out of town for a week. I would hate to have to keep these off the internet for that long, but believe it or not, getting a new design out there is alot more work than one would think.

Some have expressed an interest in my process of creating and releasing a new design. Here are some of the steps:



  • Find an idea that I like - this often amounts to months of research.

  • Decide which colors/fabrics/trims to use. I am very indecisive, so my wonderful Mother is of great help to me.

  • Find someone of historical interest for inspiration. This is harder than it sounds in many cases.

  • Draw up the pattern and test with muslin or scrap fabric.

  • Cut out the new pattern

  • Sew and finish the new dress. This takes much more time than a dress normally does because I often have no idea what I am doing.

  • Take the web pictures of the dress.

  • Edit the pictures using Photoshop so they can be used (this is usually just lightening them - basements are not conducive to good pictures)

  • Make the slideshow pictures for the homepage.

  • Write up a complete description of the dress, including biographies and fashion information.

  • FINALLY I add it all to the website, post on Facebook and this blog, and send out an email blast.

This process usually takes about 2-3 weeks. This time around I am trying to do most of this in 3 days.


Oh dear. It will get out eventually! Thanks for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment